A week ago, I re-bottled my under-fermented, over-carbonated beer. The process was messy and physically painful, but I got it done. Tonight, I opened one of the re-bottled bottles to see how the beer had survived the process:
The good news is: I was able to open the bottle without causing a beersplosion, and the beer tastes good! Still a little sweeter than I would have chosen, but definitely deeper and richer than it was when I sampled it pre-rebottling.
The bad news is twofold.
First, even one more week’s fermentation has made the beer once more somewhat overcarbonated. The liquid didn’t spurt out (though I opened the bottle in the garden to be on the safe side), but I had to pour, then wait several minutes for the foam to subside, then repeat that process three or four times before the bottle was empty.
Inconvenient, but hardly disastrous. What’s a bit sadder is that my trusty plastic bottles have had their day. I’m going to have to throw them out and get some new ones if I brew another batch some day. The interior linings have detached from the more solid outer casing. And worse, the bottoms of the bottles have blown out so that they are now convex, and the bottles won’t stand up:
It’s not particularly clear in the photo, but there’s also a little everted nipple at the very bottom of the bottle — so even if I stand the bottle up very carefully it will fall.
Oh well. Best just focus on this: I have thirty pints of nice beer.