Coming soon to a bookseller near you!
It just happened that I started blogging about Doctor Who with Matt Smith’s inaugral episode, The Eleventh Hour. Now as we approach the end of Smith’s reign, and the handover to Peter Capaldi, it seems like an appropriate time to wrap it all up in a book that covers the entire Eleventh Doctor period.
My plan is to get the e-book out as soon as possible after the last Eleventh Doctor episode is broadcast on Christmas day — hopefully by the end of this year — with a physical version following as soon as I can get it done.
Here’s what it will contain:
- Introduction: warming up to Matt Smith (NEW)
- Ages of Doctor Who actors on their debuts
- All my Series 5 and 6 reviews and related articles, and Christmas Special reviews (cleaned up from posted versions)
- Several “Thoughts in 2013” sections added to these reviews and articles (NEW)
- “Summary and retrospective” articles on Series 5, 6 and 7 (NEW)
- Reviews of all Series 7 episodes (NEW except for The Bells of Saint John and The Rings of Akhaten)
- Summary and analysis of Matt Smith’s tenure (NEW)
- Thoughts on the forthcoming Twelfth Doctor (NEW)
- Various bits of front- and back-matter — acknowledgements, image credits, about the author, etc. (NEW but not very exciting)
As you can see, there’s a lot of brand new material here — I hope it will make the book worthwhile even to those of you who’ve read all the Doctor Who posts here.
As I write this, everything is done except the last four reviews of Series 7, two more reviews of the episodes yet to be broadcast (The Day of the Doctor and the 2013 Christmas special), the Matt Smith summary/analysis and the Peter Capaldi thoughts. So I’m confident I can hit my end-of-year publication target date.
I welcome thoughts on what level I should price this at (both the e-book and the paperback — and indeed the hardback if anyone’s interested in one).
Also: is there anything else I should add to the book that I’ve missed?